Saturday, September 13, 2008

Misbah Iqbal goes down in history as Pakistan first Mrs. Pakistan

You have made history, how does it feel being the first Mrs. Pakistan World?
I feel ecstatic about obtaining the title. My friends, family, and other peers have been very supportive of my efforts and results thus far and only wish to see me excel even further. It is not very often that an opportunity like this comes around, and I intend to make the most out of it as a role model. There are thousands of women out there that need the motivation to try their best in everything that they do, knowing that there is a chance for success. While I may or may not be influential in this cause, I do feel that I am a glimmer of hope for single and married women out there that lack confidence in their abilities. I am very excited about the present and the future.

Tell us a little about yourself, your family, your husband and children.
I am a graduate of School of Business as a Certified Medical Assistant. I am twenty-two years old, and am married with 3 beautiful children. Currently, I am working towards an Associate's Degree from Houston Community College. I love to relax with my family and friends, and especially my kids more than anything. I have one son and two daughters. My son's name is Ahyan, and the twin girls are named Lina and Liya, and will soon be turning 3. Being a mother of three and pursuing a lifestyle of a role model definitely is not easy, but the experience makes my life a special one.

Is your husband supportive?
Yes, my husband is amazingly supportive. In fact, getting into this field was his decision, and he supported it as much as he could. He is very open-minded and I could not ask for a better husband than him.

What inspired you to take part in the Mrs. World pageant?
I have a lot of pride in my nation, and that was the main motivation to pursue the pageant. While there have been pageants for single women and married women before, the contestants lacked a strong Pakistani candidate. I aim to change that mindset and break the barrier that separates Pakistani women from their dreams in this field. I want to encourage all Pakistani women to follow their heart.

Are you excited to represent your nation Pakistan in a World pageant and as a married woman?
I could not be more excited than I already am. This opportunity only happens once in a lifetime, and I wish to dissolve a lot of stereotypes set forth on Pakistani women. Pakistan needs a worldwide candidate to represent itself in the entertainment industry, and I feel that being a married woman with three children further diversifies me from other Pakistani candidates.

Now there is a swimsuit at the Mrs. World pageant, how will you carry it off representing your nation- Pakistan?
There is a Mrs. Pageant competition, which does not utilize a two piece but instead a one piece swimsuit. It also has a wrap-around, so it will be similar to a short dress, which I feel is not inappropriate. It is nice and elegant, and I would not want to disrespect my religion or other Pakistani women unintentionally, so I have worked out some precautions. I do not wish to set any bad examples for my children or Pakistan; therefore I feel that my workaround is decent and fashionable at the same time.

What advice you have for married women who want to get into pageants?
If I could do it, anyone can do it. All you need is determination, and faith in your abilities to succeed. You stand up for your country in a positive manner, and it is a great feeling to reflect upon, for you and your peers.

Twenty years from now, if your daughter wants to participate in a beauty pageant, would you encourage it? And if she does, then she has a role model (yourself) to look up to, right?

Of course! I would definitely encourage my daughters to follow in their mother's footsteps. A lot of parents dream to be the role models of their children, and to me it would be one of the best experiences I could have. Women issues are being addressed, women are changing and you are that part of change that Pakistan needs very badly.

What change would you like to see in Pakistan and why?
I would like to see more Pakistani women pursue their education as much as they can, as it helps in all aspects of life. I'd also like for more Pakistani women to think for themselves, especially on the issues of marriage. Not everybody is ready for marriage, and unfortunately, Pakistani culture can sometimes force a couple to marriage prematurely for the sake of tradition and culture. These are minor links to a larger issue, but in summation, I want to see Pakistani women become more independent.

Are you a patriotic Pakistan, and if so what do you miss about Pakistan?
I love Pakistan and I miss Pakistan. I miss being able to walk on the insanely busy streets, and to attend month-long wedding celebrations. Pakistan certainly has its own unique culture to differentiate itself from other countries, and no country could match its beauty in my perspective. I also miss the fabulous food, I miss the beauty of Clifton beach, the walks I used to take with my family and Tariq Road and much more….

Pakistani beauty queens have won titles, a good 5 international titles in the past 4 years and competed in 9 international pageants since 2003. This it self is a tremendous success. What do you think you will contribute to the Pakistan pageant industry, winner or no winner?

In my mind, I am a winner no matter what the outcome, simply because I am the first married Muslim woman to compete at this level. My main goal is to provide motivation to other female Pakistanis to build their self confidence, and hopefully encourage more to compete. Pakistan and its population have a lot of untapped talent that needs to be realized in numerous fields, one of them being pageants. I am very proud of the girls that have tried their hardest in these pageants, and wish them the best of luck. Pakistan is definitely becoming more and more recognized over time.

Your children are very young, what reason are you giving them, when they ask as to where mummy is going? And is this the first time you will stay without your children?

Well, my children are very young so they cannot ask me that question yet, however when they do ask, I will proudly tell them that their mother was Mrs. Pakistan 2007. Once they are old enough to understand the magnitude of the title, I believe that they will be shocked. This isn't the first time I've left my kids alone; I had to fly to Pakistan and Dubai to take care of some personal interests, and left my kids at the care of my family, as well as my husband.

Finally, Misbah, I would like to congratulate you and ask you if you have a final statement to make to the many single as well as married Pakistani women out there.

If I can take chances and give my all without regret, you can too.

No comments: